View All Blog Posts

Tackling social determinants of health in a rural community

According to a national study1, genetics account for an estimated 30 percent of your health. The other 70 percent is determined by individual behavior, health care, and social and environmental factors, all of which are influenced by or are considered social determinants of health.

Social determinants of health are nonmedical factors that can affect your overall health. Conditions in the places where you live, learn, work, and play affect a wide range of quality of life outcomes and health risks.2

Understanding social determinants of health
The Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, established Healthy People 2020 with a goal to create social and physical environments that promote good health for all. 2 A “place-based” organizing framework, reflecting five key areas of social determinants of health includes:
  • Economic stability
  • Education
  • Social and community context
  • Health and health care
  • Neighborhood and built environment

Addressing social determinants of health in the community
HealthFitness is in a unique position to provide innovative ways to address and positively influence social determinants of health. To do this, we customize our wellbeing solutions to meet the needs of participants where they need it most: the communities where participants live, learn, work and play.   

For example, Bethel, Alaska is a rural community of around 6,000 people on the western coast of Alaska and is surrounded by Alaska Native villages. Bethel is situated within the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta (larger than the Mississippi River Delta). Bethel is accessed only by boat, plane and snow machines, with no roads connecting to a major highway system.

Read the Bethel Alaska Case Study

Bethel faces many unique challenges other rural communities do not face, including higher rates of poverty and the highest drowning rate in the nation.

Read the Case Study to learn how HealthFitness provides access to wellbeing in this often inaccessible rural community, helping address social determinants of health.

 

1. https://catalyst.nejm.org/social-determinants-of-health/
2. https://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topics-objectives/topic/social-determinants-of-health

Posted on August 14, 2019 in Case Study