By Cherie Buraglio, Executive Director, Product Innovation
We have found that among our clients, health coaching offers measurable costs savings, greater weight reduction compared to other wellness program participants and a very high satisfaction among employees. Your employees’ loss, literally, is your gain.
Health coaching presents more opportunities for cost savings
When considering how various components of wellness programs impact medical and pharmacy costs, we have found that, based on the analysis of our clients, the 70:30 rule applies to coaching:
- Overall, 30% of our client participants enroll in coaching
- 70% of cost savings come from coaching participants
Our clients whose wellness program participants worked with coaches recognized the incremental 6.1% of cost savings:
Coached participants experience greater weight reduction compared to other wellness program participants
- $586 – Average savings per year for coaching participants, or 11.3% of medical costs
- $261 – Average savings per year for non-coached participants, or 5.2% of medical costs
Based on analysis of our clients, we have found coached participants:
Our clients’ program participants are satisfied with our coaches
- On average, gained 70% less weight (.24 lbs. for the coached participant compared to .80 lbs. for non-participants.) That’s over half a pound per year! And while this may not appear on the surface as a large difference, it is quite significant when viewed in the context of our sample size of 130,000 participants.
- Lost approximately 8 lbs. when adding whole grains, fruit and vegetables to their diet, participating in strength training along with our Colorful ChoicesTM six-week challenge, which helps participants make produce a part of their daily diet.
According to our most recent client survey, participants value the combination of our experienced, passionate coaches and technological resources.
Learn more about health coaching
- 93% are satisfied with their health coach
- 90% reach their health goals
- 91% are satisfied with resources, information and tools available online
- 84% report improved productivity after working with their health coach
Please contact us
to learn more about health coaching and determine if it’s the right solution for you.
About the author:
As Executive Director, Product Innovation, Cherie is charged with driving our product portfolio strategy. With nearly 25 years of experience in public health and the wellness industry, she has worked closely with industry thought leaders and is experienced in assessment development, scoring algorithms, messaging, health management, coaching and reporting tool design. Cherie is a military veteran with degrees in biology, community health education and a master’s degree in adult education.