While the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) is reporting that the immediate risk of being exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19 is thought to be low, we want to assure our customers and participants that we’re taking steps to reduce the risk at our fitness centers and ask for your help in this effort.
The keys to keeping the risk low are for all of us to follow the CDCs recommendations to prevent the spread of the flu and other viruses, such as COVID-19, and open communication.
Steps We Are Taking
- Increasing our cleaning protocols, with more frequent deep cleanings throughout the day.
- Continuing to encourage our members to wipe down all equipment — mats, benches, free weights, cardio and strength machines, etc. — before and after they use them.
- Asking members to please refrain from coming to the fitness center if they’re not feeling well, as is always the case when it comes to illness, for their own good and in consideration of others.
- Having contingency plans in place should the need arise. HealthFitness is meeting regularly to refine plans as new information becomes available, and to continue learning as much as we can in order to make informed decisions.
Steps You Can Take
A path toward sustained health and wellness starts with knowledge and self-care.
- Stay informed: Follow the CDC’s recommendations to help prevent the spread of viral illnesses, including:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Boost your immune system: Worry and anxiety can create stress, which can take its toll on your immune system. It is important that you make self-care a top priority. Continuing to exercise during a stressful time can be hugely beneficial to mental health, with one exception. If you feel sick, do not come to the fitness center. If you are already sick, follow the CDC guidelines to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and other viruses, such as the flu.
Please take the time to educate yourself on the steps you can take to prevent the spread of the flu, COVID-19 and other illnesses. And know that we’re monitoring the situation closely and will provide updates as the situation evolves. Our highest priorities are to ensure our customers and participants are safe and that we’re able to continue to serve you.